Beyond The Reef
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Coral In Stock (Friday, April 25)
What are your favorite critters to add as a cleanup crew? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 2:27 pm by CanadaCorals

» Coral In Stock (April, 11 2014)
What are your favorite critters to add as a cleanup crew? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 10:05 pm by CanadaCorals

» Official Canada Corals Introduction
What are your favorite critters to add as a cleanup crew? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 5:35 pm by CanadaCorals

» Looking for Bubble Tip Anemone
What are your favorite critters to add as a cleanup crew? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 1:13 pm by Shannon *Admin*

» A big Welcome to our new Sponsor CANADA CORALS!!
What are your favorite critters to add as a cleanup crew? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 4:14 pm by Shannon *Admin*

» Good News..
What are your favorite critters to add as a cleanup crew? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2014 3:26 am by Shannon *Admin*

» BIG ALS MARCH 29-APRIL 4TH
What are your favorite critters to add as a cleanup crew? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2014 3:04 am by Shannon *Admin*

» L.E.D Lighting
What are your favorite critters to add as a cleanup crew? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 9:55 am by Shannon *Admin*

» ELEGANCE
What are your favorite critters to add as a cleanup crew? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 9:48 am by Shannon *Admin*

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

FACEBOOK LIKE BUTTON

What are your favorite critters to add as a cleanup crew?

+10
stellamama
Jack
Cookieman888
R33f3r
SATELLITE
300gallonacrylic
FullBoat4u
sandyc*moderator*
SeahorseBT*Moderator*
cheech
14 posters

Go down

What are your favorite critters to add as a cleanup crew? Empty What are your favorite critters to add as a cleanup crew?

Post by cheech Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:20 pm

I'd appreciate your input on this.

I got a 90 g tank with about 120 lbs of LR. and about 3" of sand. It'll be a full lblown reef tank. I don't have a cleanup crew in there yet, but I'm slowly looking into what i should add in there.

What would you guys purchase to keep your tank clean? Which snails, crabs, stars, sea cucumbers? etc etc etc ...

Thanks!

c

cheech

Number of posts : 20
Tank Size- Gallons : 90
Reefer Reputation : 0
Registration date : 2008-12-01

Back to top Go down

What are your favorite critters to add as a cleanup crew? Empty Re: What are your favorite critters to add as a cleanup crew?

Post by SeahorseBT*Moderator* Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:33 pm

I like to do blue leg hermits (they are nice looking and fairly peaceful) a good mix of snails and cleaner shrimp. A sand sifting star would be good down the road once your system matures.
SeahorseBT*Moderator*
SeahorseBT*Moderator*

Number of posts : 6
Tank Size- Gallons : 46 LPS, 34 SPS, various Seahorse tanks.
Registration date : 2008-11-27

Back to top Go down

What are your favorite critters to add as a cleanup crew? Empty Re: What are your favorite critters to add as a cleanup crew?

Post by sandyc*moderator* Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:59 pm

I agree with Blake. The only difference with my CUC is I use a diamond goby instead of a sand sifting star. They serve the same purpose but I prefer a fish to a star. bounce

sandyc*moderator*

Number of posts : 11
Tank Size- Gallons : 29 gallon softies & LPS
Registration date : 2008-11-26

Back to top Go down

Post by FullBoat4u Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:04 am

I also go with the diamond goby but i think my cuc is pretty over kill
32 gallon
20-30 blue leg hermits
2 red leg crabs
1 sally lightfoot
5 nasurius snail
5 turbos
2 mexican turbos
yellow sea cucumber
5 mystery hermits "3x size blue leg"

FullBoat4u

Number of posts : 9
Tank Size- Gallons : 150(FWLR)35mixed reef 20 frag

Back to top Go down

Post by SeahorseBT*Moderator* Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:20 pm

As long as they get enough food, it sounds good to me. Smile
SeahorseBT*Moderator*
SeahorseBT*Moderator*

Number of posts : 6
Tank Size- Gallons : 46 LPS, 34 SPS, various Seahorse tanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by 300gallonacrylic Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:30 pm

In my 70g FOWLR I have 2 sally lightfoots(love these guys...they do a great job), also have 3 emerald crabs(also great crew to have.....constantly picking away) and about 15 blue leg hermits and tons of snails, next on my list is a couple pepermint shrimp(to keep the aiptasia in check), and when I move everything to my 300g I'll get a few more of each of the above mentioned, as well as a few cleaner shrimp.
300gallonacrylic
300gallonacrylic

Number of posts : 63
Tank Size- Gallons : 300gallon, display with 2 ocellaris clowns, 2 maroon clowns, foxface, kole tang, yellow tang, purple tang, orange shoulder tang, regal blue tang, asfur angelfish, green mandarin dragonette, tiger pistol shrimp & banded shrimpgoby, brittle starfish, 2 sally lightfoot crabs, 3 emerald crabs, lots of blue leg hermits, tons of snails, 3 rose BTA(just keeps splitting), 2 green BTA, 2 cleaner shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp, about 600 lbs of live rock, frogspawn, some zoo's and some mushrooms. 4-175w metal halides(soon to be triple 400w halides), 4-96w power compact actinics, moonlights, 2-berlin skimmers and a instant ocean skimmer as well
Registration date : 2009-01-08

http://legrandrouge.tripod.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SATELLITE Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:23 am

i have about 100 blue legs and 4-5 zebra crabs. i think my favorite would be my pistol shrimp, and as much as hes a pain my engineer goby.
SATELLITE
SATELLITE

Number of posts : 94
Tank Size- Gallons : 125g. 42g sump
Registration date : 2009-01-16

Back to top Go down

What are your favorite critters to add as a cleanup crew? Empty mixing shrimp

Post by R33f3r Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:22 pm

Just have a quicky.....any help would be great. Is it ok to have a few different species of shrimp in one tank. I was think of having a skunk cleaner and pistol shrimp to go with a yellow watchmen gobie. I was also thinking of a banded shrimp but that will be in the future.

R33f3r

Number of posts : 26
Tank Size- Gallons : 29 gal. Biocube mixed reef.
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by SATELLITE Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:55 am

i have an 80g and at one time i had 2 cleaners 2 peppermints and 1 coral banded shrimp and 2 blood shrimp they were all fine... now if i add anything i have to watch out cause my hawkfish or trigger will go after them. i still have the coral baned and a pistol...
SATELLITE
SATELLITE

Back to top Go down

Post by Cookieman888 Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:39 am

R33f3r wrote:Just have a quicky.....any help would be great. Is it ok to have a few different species of shrimp in one tank. I was think of having a skunk cleaner and pistol shrimp to go with a yellow watchmen gobie. I was also thinking of a banded shrimp but that will be in the future.

Mixing shrimp is ok for the most part but avoid adding a coral banded with other shrimp as they tend to be aggressive with other shrimp species.
Cookieman888
Cookieman888

Number of posts : 175
Tank Size- Gallons : 90 gal mixed reef & BC29
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:28 pm

lettuce nudibranch, im not sure how well crabs will get along with them but good algae eaters (or so ive read)
Jack
Jack

Number of posts : 110
Tank Size- Gallons : 15 gallon fuge + 30 gallon nano reef with mantis shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post by SATELLITE Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:12 pm

after i added 10 golf balls (turbo snails) into the tank i can NOT SEE any hair algea on the rock glass or heaters, they really did do a great job...
SATELLITE
SATELLITE

Back to top Go down

What are your favorite critters to add as a cleanup crew? Empty mixing shrimp

Post by R33f3r Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:20 pm

Thanks for all the replies, I will keep them in mind.

R33f3r

Number of posts : 26
Tank Size- Gallons : 29 gal. Biocube mixed reef.

Back to top Go down

Post by stellamama Fri May 01, 2009 10:55 pm

I love my emerald crab. It is a great scavenger. I have bubble algae and it has just started eating it.

I have peppermint shrimp, cleaner shrimp, certih, narcissus and astrea snails. Also have red scarlet hermits, blue legged hermits and mexican red tip hermits. I like the red scarlets the best. They seem peaceful.

Unfortunately my blue legged hermits love to kill off my astreas for their shells even though there are plenty of empty shells in the tank to chose from.

stellamama

Number of posts : 5
Tank Size- Gallons : 55 gallon reef tank
Registration date : 2009-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by sambrinar*mod* Mon May 04, 2009 3:32 am

I just had a huge outbreak of cyano in my 75 gal and HA.. so I bought a cleaner pack from Dr Foster and Smith, got 15 scarlet hermits, 30 blue tipped hermits, 30 mexican turbos and 3 abalone and man did they do a great job.. here is the link... but I must say.. the Abalone are creepy looking.. lol

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=420+2732+494&pcatid=494
sambrinar*mod*
sambrinar*mod*

Number of posts : 41
Tank Size- Gallons : 75 gal
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by 2Frosty4u Mon May 04, 2009 7:40 am

Are you in Canada or the USA Sambrinar? According to their website Liveaquaria Doesn't ship to us in Canada.
2Frosty4u
2Frosty4u

Tank Size- Gallons : 120g Reef, 35g fuge, 35g sump, 2X250W MH, 2X110W VHO actinic, Euroreef CS8-4 Skimmer, Blueline 100HD return pump, OM squirt 4 way closed loop.
75g Fowlr tied into reef system.
Registration date : 2009-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Shannon *Admin* Mon May 04, 2009 4:54 pm

Hey Frosty..No they don't..I have been trying to get my bluespot jawfish from them, but they don't ship here unfortunately.. Sad
Shannon *Admin*
Shannon *Admin*
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 251
Tank Size- Gallons : 38g Display, 12g Nanocube, 8 Gallon nano, 28g JBJ HQI

29g Biocube - Feb 2/14
Registration date : 2008-11-24

https://beyondthereef.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by spankmeister Tue May 05, 2009 7:26 am

Will anemones eat hermit crabs and other members of the cleaning crew, or vise versa. I wanted to add crabs etc to my tank housing my pink tipped anemone but wasn't sure how each would get along together. How about serpeant stars as well?
Thanks

spankmeister

Number of posts : 13
Tank Size- Gallons : 55gal predator tank, 40g + 20g + 2x10g clown breeder setup
Registration date : 2009-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by 2Frosty4u Tue May 05, 2009 12:42 pm

Shannon *Admin* wrote:Hey Frosty..No they don't..I have been trying to get my bluespot jawfish from them, but they don't ship here unfortunately.. Sad
That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming that.
2Frosty4u
2Frosty4u

Tank Size- Gallons : 120g Reef, 35g fuge, 35g sump, 2X250W MH, 2X110W VHO actinic, Euroreef CS8-4 Skimmer, Blueline 100HD return pump, OM squirt 4 way closed loop.

Back to top Go down

Post by 2Frosty4u Tue May 05, 2009 12:45 pm

spankmeister wrote:Will anemones eat hermit crabs and other members of the cleaning crew, or vise versa. I wanted to add crabs etc to my tank housing my pink tipped anemone but wasn't sure how each would get along together. How about serpeant stars as well?
Thanks
I have all of the members of the cleanup crew you mentioned in with my Three large RBTA's and they all get along just fine. I wouldn't be too worried if I were you.
2Frosty4u
2Frosty4u

Back to top Go down

Post by Shannon *Admin* Wed May 06, 2009 7:34 am

I have red & blue legged hermits with my BTA and never had a problem..
Shannon *Admin*
Shannon *Admin*
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 251
Tank Size- Gallons : 38g Display, 12g Nanocube, 8 Gallon nano, 28g JBJ HQI

29g Biocube - Feb 2/14
Registration date : 2008-11-24

https://beyondthereef.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by sambrinar*mod* Thu May 07, 2009 3:27 pm

2Frosty4u wrote:Are you in Canada or the USA Sambrinar? According to their website Liveaquaria Doesn't ship to us in Canada.

Yep US.. but I was really putting that on there so you could see what I had and thought was an excellent clean up crew... Shame they don't ship to Canada.. sorry

Brenda
sambrinar*mod*
sambrinar*mod*

Back to top Go down

Post by 2Frosty4u Thu May 07, 2009 5:11 pm

They do have some really nice stuff on Liveaquaria that I know many local reefers would love to purchase but there's that darn Border That keeps getting in the way...lol
It seem's like I never have enough clean crew roaming around my tank and this thread makes me think I'll be heading to the local LFS's this weekend for a few new additions. For some strange reason when I checked on my reef this morning the smaller of two Emerald Crabs I've had for some time was laying on the sandbed with his claws in the air....go figure.
2Frosty4u
2Frosty4u

Back to top Go down

Post by sambrinar*mod* Fri May 08, 2009 5:26 pm

2Frosty4u wrote:For some strange reason when I checked on my reef this morning the smaller of two Emerald Crabs I've had for some time was laying on the sandbed with his claws in the air....go figure.

Funny we found mine just like that last week.. must be the season.. lol
sambrinar*mod*
sambrinar*mod*

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down