Beyond The Reef
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Coral In Stock (Friday, April 25)
Questions about Percula clownfish I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 2:27 pm by CanadaCorals

» Coral In Stock (April, 11 2014)
Questions about Percula clownfish I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 10:05 pm by CanadaCorals

» Official Canada Corals Introduction
Questions about Percula clownfish I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 5:35 pm by CanadaCorals

» Looking for Bubble Tip Anemone
Questions about Percula clownfish I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 1:13 pm by Shannon *Admin*

» A big Welcome to our new Sponsor CANADA CORALS!!
Questions about Percula clownfish I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 4:14 pm by Shannon *Admin*

» Good News..
Questions about Percula clownfish I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2014 3:26 am by Shannon *Admin*

» BIG ALS MARCH 29-APRIL 4TH
Questions about Percula clownfish I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2014 3:04 am by Shannon *Admin*

» L.E.D Lighting
Questions about Percula clownfish I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 9:55 am by Shannon *Admin*

» ELEGANCE
Questions about Percula clownfish I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 9:48 am by Shannon *Admin*

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

FACEBOOK LIKE BUTTON

Questions about Percula clownfish

4 posters

Go down

Questions about Percula clownfish Empty Questions about Percula clownfish

Post by BurgerKing Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:51 pm

After reading the thread about this fish I gathered these few questions.

What kind of foods would you reccomend for baby percs, Im starting my sw tank with these guys and I hope some breeding will go down. Also, how long does it take a perc to get to full length?
BurgerKing
BurgerKing

Number of posts : 84
Tank Size- Gallons : 75g A. cichlids, 28g community, 10g shellies, 6g fry tank
Reefer Reputation : 0
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Questions about Percula clownfish Empty Re: Questions about Percula clownfish

Post by sambrinar*mod* Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:50 pm

the rate of growing I have no clue. My Piscasso was 3 months old when I got him and he was barely an inch long (I am in the US BTW), so no metric measurements Smile

I have an O clown and a Picasso Clown. I feed them my homemade mush, much cheeper than buying frozen food. Very easy to make. I just go to the local deli to get fresh raw shrimp, mullosk, clams, muscles etc. I get weird looks because I only have these two fish so I only buy one of each. Total is like $3.00 US dollars.

I soak them in RO/DI water for about 10 minutes, I also add freeze dried Cyclopeeze and Prime Reef Flakes (also soaked in RO/DI water), drain and
Then I throw it all in a food process or blender add 2 drops of Liquid Selcon and Vitachem and pulverize it until it is almost liquid,
I add a little fresh RO/DI water to it too, to thin out the consistancy. Put it into a ziplock bag and freeze. Break off small pieces and plop in the tank. they love it

BTW the purpose of soaking the food and flakes is to get the phosphates out of the food. Processed freeze dried and frozen food is very high in phosphates, they use it as a preservative. I did an experiment on this once, the before soaking the phosphates were off the chart >10 and a soaking, draining then adding to tank water phos was .25. huge difference I was surprised.
sambrinar*mod*
sambrinar*mod*

Number of posts : 41
Tank Size- Gallons : 75 gal
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by BurgerKing Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:46 pm

I'd probably make some homemade treats every now and then. I do it for my African Cichlids, but it's pretty simple, lettuce, zuccinni, and other random stuff in a blender.
BurgerKing
BurgerKing

Number of posts : 84
Tank Size- Gallons : 75g A. cichlids, 28g community, 10g shellies, 6g fry tank
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by spankmeister Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:26 pm

Hello. Very interesting findings about phos. in frozen foods, could explain my ongoing battle with ditritus.
These sound like very good options for feeding growing occ's but if you have larvae, it is a much different story.
I have yet to see my first hatch however, I have been doing alot of research online anticipating such an event. Clown larvae, as with other fish, cannot consume "normal" food for weeks, even months, until metamorphosis. A diet of phyto-enriched rotifers seem to be the desired method as far as I have read to date. Just today as a matter of fact I verified that the lfs stocks cultures of phytoplankton and rotifers. If these are cycled and used properly, my understanding is that you should be able to maintain these stocks with plenty to supply for growing larvae.
Of course, I certainly am not the expert on this, I just thought I should share what it is that I think that I have learned. If anyone disagrees, please chime in, I am very open to criticism.
hth.

spankmeister

Number of posts : 13
Tank Size- Gallons : 55gal predator tank, 40g + 20g + 2x10g clown breeder setup
Registration date : 2009-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Shannon *Admin* Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:40 pm

Great info Spank...And welcome to the site...Glad you made it.. Smile

There is a member on here, and a friend of mine, Sandyc, she has sucessfully bred over 300 clowns to date...I will ask her to chime in...
Shannon *Admin*
Shannon *Admin*
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 251
Tank Size- Gallons : 38g Display, 12g Nanocube, 8 Gallon nano, 28g JBJ HQI

29g Biocube - Feb 2/14
Registration date : 2008-11-24

https://beyondthereef.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down