Beyond The Reef
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Coral In Stock (Friday, April 25)
How to differ live rock from base rock I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 2:27 pm by CanadaCorals

» Coral In Stock (April, 11 2014)
How to differ live rock from base rock I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 10:05 pm by CanadaCorals

» Official Canada Corals Introduction
How to differ live rock from base rock I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 5:35 pm by CanadaCorals

» Looking for Bubble Tip Anemone
How to differ live rock from base rock I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 1:13 pm by Shannon *Admin*

» A big Welcome to our new Sponsor CANADA CORALS!!
How to differ live rock from base rock I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 4:14 pm by Shannon *Admin*

» Good News..
How to differ live rock from base rock I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2014 3:26 am by Shannon *Admin*

» BIG ALS MARCH 29-APRIL 4TH
How to differ live rock from base rock I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2014 3:04 am by Shannon *Admin*

» L.E.D Lighting
How to differ live rock from base rock I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 9:55 am by Shannon *Admin*

» ELEGANCE
How to differ live rock from base rock I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 9:48 am by Shannon *Admin*

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

FACEBOOK LIKE BUTTON

How to differ live rock from base rock

3 posters

Go down

How to differ live rock from base rock Empty How to differ live rock from base rock

Post by Colossus Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:57 pm

Hello, so how can you see the difference between live rock and base rock with the eye...I am planing to buy some rocks from a guy and don't want to get ripped off...they are in saltwater in bins with water circulating
Colossus
Colossus

Number of posts : 50
Tank Size- Gallons : 90 gallon tank
Reefer Reputation : 0
Registration date : 2008-11-26

Back to top Go down

How to differ live rock from base rock Empty Re: How to differ live rock from base rock

Post by Cookieman888 Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:40 pm

Base rock is bleach white to the lightest of tan in colour. Looks just like live rock in terms of shape and pourous appearance. Very clean appearance (no debris present). Usually sold dry. No good reason to sell it wet other than to extract money $ from your pocket.
Live rock will usually have some sort of growth on it (coraline, green or brown algaes, etc) but not always (ie if its kept in bins of salt water in the dark). Ranges in colour from light tan to tan/brown for "uncured liverock" to nearly completely purple for full coraline encrusted rock. There may be small clam shell stuck in the rock openings. You may see pods or featherdusters on rock that has been curing for a while.
Cookieman888
Cookieman888

Number of posts : 175
Tank Size- Gallons : 90 gal mixed reef & BC29
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

How to differ live rock from base rock Empty Re: How to differ live rock from base rock

Post by Shannon *Admin* Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:30 pm

Awesome info Matt...Couldnt have worded it any better!!..
Shannon *Admin*
Shannon *Admin*
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 251
Tank Size- Gallons : 38g Display, 12g Nanocube, 8 Gallon nano, 28g JBJ HQI

29g Biocube - Feb 2/14
Registration date : 2008-11-24

https://beyondthereef.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Colossus Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:04 am

Thanks guys!
Colossus
Colossus

Number of posts : 50
Tank Size- Gallons : 90 gallon tank
Registration date : 2008-11-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down